Sunday, August 1, 2010

Saying Goodbye to a Friend





My heart breaks.



I have posted signs for you. I've gone to the shelter, daily, to look for you. I've offered rewards for you. I've received numerous phone calls of sightings for you. I've walked around the neighborhood, calling your name. I've cried for you, and boy, I've missed you.



And you are gone.



You haven't returned.



My heart breaks.



Dixie's heart breaks.



But I've seen you.



A low, light streak around the floor.



A shadow, showing me your spirit lives on.



An appearance under the dining table; your nesting spot.



Your smell. Still on the blanket where you slept.



My heart breaks.



2 comments:

  1. Oh, that is just so sad! My heart breaks for you.

    But there is always hope. My childhood collie was lost for 9 months, until my parents placed ONE more ad to placate me. And sure enough the right people saw it and our dog came home.

    Luci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luci, that is so sweet of you. I go to the shelters daily to look for him....I will continue to place signs around.

    ReplyDelete