Friday, May 27, 2011

Mi scusi, parla poodle?




Last weekend I was able to help a sweet, young, gorgeous standard poodle get from a neglected situation to a safe foster home by being part of a transport team. I fell in love with this sweet girl on the drive from Kenosha to Milwaukee, but honestly, I had fallen hard before I ever met her. Her story was not unique-neglected, poor vet care, on and on and on.
My heart broke to hear her story and even though we don't "need" another dog, I felt in my heart of hearts that she NEEDED us.
Since bringing a new pet into the house is a family decision, I wanted the entire family to be on board, I called upon my good friend, Kate Solisti-a renowned author and wealth of information on wellness, nutrition and communication. For years I've been admiring her work and include much of her literature in our meet and greet packages as a conversation starter to educating pet parents on whats best to feed our beloved animals. I was excited to speak with her and hear her thoughts on the matter.
While I understand that any companion animal speaks a language unbeknownst to me, I wasn't aware that particular breeds have a language amongst their specific breed, hence, "Poodle." Dixe and Jackson are in love. All one has to do is watch them for a half an hour and you will see that the respect and admiration they have for each other is undeniable. Dixie is goo goo gah gah over Jackson. And why shouldn't she be? He's what we call at the Thomas household "A chocolate love chunk." She is miserable when he gets groomed and she's not around him.....so, in all fairness, what was I thinking---potentially bringing another woman into the equation? It would be like adding a new, hot, younger woman to my marriage. I DON'T THINK SO! :-)
This past week Dixie has been giving me strong signals, and I've been reading them loud and clear. She has been by my side, starring at me. She has been following me more than usual. She has looked into my eyes with her big brown ones and told me that she is upset. And thank goodness I heard her.
When Kate did the conversation, and she was speaking with Dixie, Dixie told her that she would "try" but had reservations. As soon as Kate told her that the deal was off the table, Dixie LITERALLY started to flick her paws, which Kate told me was a sign of releasing tension and anxiety, much like shaking out or taking a big, deep breath. Miss Dixie was going to be fine....she would continue to have her big love chunk all to herself.
I trust that the wonderful rescue which is fostering her will find an outstanding home. Fluffy Dog Rescue is a class act and even though we won't be that home, I feel good in my decision and blessed that my friend Kate could help out.
With that being said.....if you are thinking of adopting......something to think about is using the gifts of a communicator.
The investment is slim in comparison to the potential upheaval in your household.

No comments:

Post a Comment