Monday, January 11, 2010

Jackson Browne-The Fielders Best Friend!

























Funny how dogs choose their "people."

I could be standing in the kitchen with a raw porterhouse steak, begging Jackson to be my best friend, but his loyalty is completely to my husband, Wes. Why? Well, we have our theories, and mine is that its the testosterone talking, but Jackson, known in our family as Browne, Mr. Browne or Jackson is 100% Wes' dog.


Jackson came to our life as a Mother's Day 2007 gift to me. I found him on Craigslist Chicago and wrote his past pet parent a heart felt letter about what wonderful people we are and how perfect a home we could provide for him, hoping they would choose us. Add our proximity to the lake, a raw diet and we had that magical combination.....we were lucky enough to be chosen to be Jackson's new parents. He was on his second home already and wanted him to be a permanent fixture in ours.


On the drive home from Gary, Indiana, I sung into Jackson's ears the tune of "Jackson", by Johnny and June Carter Cash. You see, his original name was Teddy. I substituted the words "Yes, we're going to Jackson for "Yes, your new name is Jackson" all the way home. He sat in my lap the entire trip.

We went through all the trials and tribulations of new puppy parents and along the way realized that we had one of the sweetest, most loyal, most guarding pups a boy and girl could ever want. But not until we called him a pain in the ass at least 100 times.


Jackson is Wes' dog. So much so that when I get out of bed in the morning, Jackson takes my spot, and then some and loves all over Wes. Often times I ask Wes if he wants a cigarette. Sometimes I feel like I've walked in on them. Nothing frisky goes on, of course, but their inseparable bond is there, and its undeniable. They are in love with each other.


With Wes being a ball player and all, and my business being a sponsor, it was a perfect fit for Jackson to be associated with the new Zion team, THE LAKE COUNTY FIELDERS. Jackson is the official ball dog for the team. He'll be catching balls at the games this coming year, being the mascot for Wisconsin Pet Care during Dog Day this June, 2010 and will be hamming it up with the team in the dugout. We're hoping for a big turn out for everyone to meet our boy, as I'm sure he'll be quite the comedian and athlete when the team is at their home games.

Why is Jackson so special? Well, he's a big sweetie, a big love and a big chocolate love chunk. Nothing more to say. I feel protected around him, loved around him and entertained by him. He's a winning combination in my book. Plus, if looks can kill, we'd all be dead, because, without question, he's the most handsome boy in our Allendale neighborhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment