Friday, January 8, 2010

Jessie Mae Mendelsohn Thomas




















Jessie Mae came to us as a fluke-but not a universal fluke. I always say that Jessie chose us. When we lived in Chicago, we weren't allowed to have pets. We did have a cat, which we needed to later re home but we yearned for a dog. So, what better way to have a dog than to volunteer our time as a rescue transport? Wes and I are always eager to help any animal, whenever possible, so this was a wonderful route for us.

What did we do? Well, we were, and still are a group of volunteers who are a tag team of drivers helping pups and kitties get from high kill shelters to a safe haven or a forever home. Jessie was our passenger, along with a cat and we were the last stop/drivers to the shelter.

During our drive, Jessie was an angel. In fact, so much an angel, that she decided to mark me as her own-she kept putting her paw on me whenever I turned back to look at her. I fell in love during our 2 hour drive time. By the time we got to our destination, Wes and I had decided that we needed to add her to our family-which was a challenge because we lived in an apartment which didn't allow dogs. Ileana Pullos, the head of Fortunate Pup and Lab Rescue of Palatine, IL. graciously held Jessie until we moved into our home in Kenosha, WI. What a gift in and of itself.

Since we've had Jessie, we've discovered the proper way to feed a dog, the most wonderful holistic vet in our area (Healing Oasis in Sturtevant, WI.) and made friends throughout the neighborhood. Jessie is known in our neighborhood as the "duck dog" as she is never without her accessorising-a stuffed animal in her mouth. Literally, we are unable to walk her unless she has a toy in her mouth. Because of this, she has also taught our two standard poodles that they must be accessorized, and each time one of us comes through the door, we are greeted with a plethora of stuffed animals. Its a joyous affair many times a day.

What do I love most about Jessie? Her ability to read my moods. Here's an example. When my mother passed away in September of 2007, she didn't leave my side for weeks. She knew the pain I was in, and wanted to lend a hand. I had hand surgery yesterday and she has glued herself to me. Because of her sensitivity, I adore her, and I love that she always positions herself on the couch to keep my feet warm. On the flip side, she is the most difficult dog to walk-including every one of my customers. How this happened is beyond me, and I've thrown in the towel with training because she's unfortunately proven that "You can't teach and old dog new tricks." Tricks, I could care less, but walking without pulling or swerving would be nice.....

Jessie Mae is a wonder dog. Diagnosed at age 8 with hip dysplasia, she gets around like her younger siblings due to her wonderful holistic supplemental regimine. Thank goodness for herbs and not having the suggested surgery from a western vet. She is a lovely age at 11 and sweet, mature, mellow and loving. She is a huge part of our family...and is truly our "marshmallow love girl."




No comments:

Post a Comment